Re: DSM: An alternative teacher at a traditional school

Mark Stafford & Angela Sevin (markangela@mail.com)
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:24:51 -0800

Anna,

I know that you once worked at the School of Self-determination in Moscow, which
more closely resembles a Sudbury School than a traditional school. I think you
can probably judge for yourself how much good it is doing you and the students
to be and work in the oppressive environment of the school teaching situation
you are now in. The question is, do you see movement in the direction towards
more freedom? I know you are a pretty stong person, and I can see you making a
difference opening the door to democracy in the classroom, but is it enough, for
you and the students?

The reponses to your post seem to reflect the extreme ends of the spectrum of
what is currently possible (conceivably) here in the U.S.; I wonder what the
continuum of Russian school systems looks like. What are the current models of
education in Russia? How are they similar to ours? I think it would be very
hard to do what you are doing. I have often wondered if I could do it here in
the U.S. and I'm pretty sure I could not.

take care,

Angela Sevin

P.S How is "Tubelsky's" school doing these days?