DSM: : : DSM: An alternative teachr at a traditional schoo

Anna Babina (annababina@yandex.ru)
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:30:47 +0300

Hello, Dawn!

I don't have any illusions about public schools and as you could see from the letter I was not sure that I'm doing a great job. I agree that

<Teachers at traditional schools cannot confer any real freedom or <liberty on their students as long as children are required to attend <schools against their free will.

And I do want to make a different school sometime. I am 22 now and I've been working at a schooling system for 4 years. I'm trying to gain experience meeting people who are against traditional system. It's impossible to do something alone on an empty field.

<I don't believe there is a fundamental difference between traditional <teachers at traditional schools and teachers who label themselves <as "alternative teachers" at traditional schools. For the most part, <teachers at traditional schools are agents of the State whose main <p<urpose is to deprive children of their liberty and freedom of <expression and to collect a paycheck for their efforts.

Totally disagree. Firstly, all people are different. There are those who respect their students which is the most important think in human life, I guess. Don't you think it's an exaggerration to say all public teachers are monsters?

If our law doesn't allow us to make a different school we are doing what is possible here and now. Do you think we should emigrate? Or stop demonstrating another model of behavior in a traditional system?

About paychecks. I earn $10 a month at school. Easy to guess that I have another job to provide myself. So do many other teachers. Though there are those who can't survive outside this system. And honestly I also don't them with their "teachers' professional desease": loud voice, ordering intonations, being sure he is always right etc.

Anna
  : Dawn F. Harkness <dawn@harkness.net>
  : discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org <discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org>
  : 19 2000 . 22:59
  : Re: DSM: An alternative teacher at a traditional school