Ответ: DSM: An alternative teacher at a traditional school

Anna Babina (annababina@yandex.ru)
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:57:31 +0300

Hello, John.
Thanks for your ideas.

You wrote
<I firmly believe that it is a very high calling to stay within the system <you are in and to change the minds of those you have the privilege o<f working with.

Actually I'm not trying to change the minds. I think that showing a different position and a different way of surviving in the system is good enough.

<Dawn talks about free will. I wonder how many children would "find" <a SV model school and willingly get themselves there - positively
< none.

That's correct. A 6year old (we start school at 6) can't choose school. But sometimes an elder child decides to change school himself.

<My experience with most teachers is that they do their best to try to get their students to expand their thinking which families, newspapers, tvs, and society tends to teach them to limit. In fact I personally think that an argument could be made that children actually have more freedom in our public schools to be themselves <than they do at home under the supervision of their parents.

I'd add. If we make something which totally contradicts with the social and family life of a child it will be called a shocking therapy the results of which can very from "excellent" to "death".

<I firmly believe in, diversity Dawn does not.
<I would never expect any particular educational paradigm to meet the needs of an entire population.

That's what I expressed in my reply to Dawn's message.

<I am a product of the public school system and it did not do too badly with me.

For me it's a bit different. I'd have achieved more in creative work if I had gone to an alternative school. But maybe I'd have failed to survive in the society. Not sure.

<I have a friend in one of the old Soviet states that has a grandmother that was an algebra teacher and at times she was not treated very <well by the authorities. I am sure you understand what I mean.

Oufff. YES

Anna