DSM: Diversity - YEAH!

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:35:11 -0500

I think a person who is the least bit willing to briefly consider the
possibility that there is a really monumental difference, an incredibly
enormous gulf, between what an environment that is relatively free (can use
the bathroom without permission, can read certain books whenever they want
_this_ year) and an environment **unknown to them** that is truly free (can
stay in a tree all day, can hack perl all year and all next year, can sack
an idiotic staff member or suspend a physically abusive student) does for
kids is, by definition, an open-minded person.

On the other hand, a person who admittedly knows little about the Model, but
has their mind made up that there's really just a little bit of difference
between it and a conventional classroom where the progressive teacher's
trying really hard to "change minds"... well, my six-year-old can figure
that one out, but only after (or if) she gets back from the bathroom.

I find it interesting that the more people there are that are suddenly
popping up all over the world wanting to start a Sudbury Model school, the
more I hear this idea that the 100-year-old reform movement is going to
suddenly start working if we all steer towards the bandstand when we dance
with the devil.

And incidentally, I'd like to hear John Axtell's definition of the word,
"diversity":

> I firmly believe in, diversity Dawn does not.

Is this the same John Axtell talking that was outraged to learn our
government will not allow a non-profit school to operate if they bar
students from attending based on race, color or creed?

(John Axtell wrote at 10:16 am on Monday December 11th:
> I am so out of it I did not understand that our government has managed to
give
> tax advantages to private schools based on their submission to the value
system
> being imposed by the government. That certainly is the ultimate in
> discrimination. It is the same attitude the gays have. You have to accept
my
> philosophy but I will not accept yours, or the black's attitude that
they)

(snip)

What is the premise of John Axtell "firmly believing in diversity" and Dawn
Harkness "not"? Is it that she thinks that reforming public schools is a
waste of time? Subsequent to that, is it his position that the movement as
a whole does not value diversity as highly as he does?

-Joe Jackson