Re: DSM: Encouragement or passion

Tue, 19 Dec 2000 02:37:31 -0800

Well, my computer deleted this message. I'll give it one more try, maybe
less eloquent.

I remember very few teachers saying anything personally. I remember my
parents rarely having fun with us kids, maybe Christmas carolling or a walk
in the woods. Many memories are of friends my age doing things together.
Finally, few memories are of friends speaking personally. So, I have two
differences to point out. One, the difference between adults' reluctance to
equally participate in an activity, and children's ease of relating
physically. Second, the difference between relating physically and relating
personally. Both physical and personal relating are needed to develop as a
fully expressed human.

It was painful having dinner with my parents tonight. They were successful
modeling aloofness in my youth as our relationship. I ached to say something
personal from introspection, but mom tends to get alarmed and dad tends to
leave the room. Our connection seems a hundred miles apart as we sit across
the table.

Few relationships vary from this aloof standard. A few people stand out as
making a difference. A counselor I know makes every effort to come from
within, from sincerity and speaking from self. Another is a woman who made
radical change in her life. When she got cancer she was ready to carry that
change into death. She invited everyone over to celebrate a review of her
life. Later, we celebrated with her the coming transformation. I had the
honor of sitting quietly with her hours before she died. In twelve years of
Hospice work I have seen nothing like the courage and intimacy with which
she confronted death. Certainly there was no "encouragement" here one way or
another, but there was participation and intimacy, and lots of emotional
vocabulary.

Kids are not aloof. They are adventurers. If we modeled emotional
vocabulary, and if we joined them in the adventure, they might remain
adventurers. In fact the adventure could become exquisite.

A foriegn student, I don't remember who she was, but I remember what she
said about friendship. She commented how unusual it is to see people here
speak personally to each other. In her country her many friends freely
opened up to speak of their lives intimately. This brings closeness. She did
not understand that so few people here say anything personal. Friendship as
she knows it does not exist.

I passionately despair over the aloof sickness normal in our society puting
encouragement in place of celebration and honesty.

robert