Re: DSM: Encouragement

David Rovner (rovners@netvision.net.il)
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 17:29:57 +0200

CindyK.. ."CindyK" <cindyk@unitz.on.ca>
I know it is not for me to answer but, as I understand it, that's the whole point at
Sudbury Valley, support -- "caring and supportive concern" -- not guidance -- "the
usual sort of positive encouragement and enrichment". You work at the structure of
the school not at the individual-psychology level (not at feelings of people): "In every
case it is an individual struggle" -- the emphasis is on struggle -- "and when it
succeds it is an individual triumph". Anywayl, nobody asks you to point out the
difficulties. Ask Hanna from SVS.
see "The Silent Factor" and "The Art of Doing Nothing" -- The Sudbury Valley School
Experience.
David