DSM: Encouragement

CindyK (cindyk@unitz.on.ca)
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 09:23:10 -0500

I have noticed that there is very little encouragement involved with the sudbury model. Whenever I have mentioned that I would like to start a school I have been told: it's very difficult, you're better off moving closer to one, not many people make it, etc... Now, I understand that it is all true and I know that it weeds the garden. If, once people find out how hard it is, and they still continue they will be more likely to succeed. But is there no room for encouragement? I don't only mean with me. I mean in the school. I know that the adults are to give the students room to discover on their own. But is it a conscious effort not to encourage too much? Is that part of the model? I believe in encouragement. Once my kids show an interest in something, I try to encourage them to follow that interest as long as it remains an interest. I tell them they can do anything that they are interested in. I think that if I instead pointed out all the difficulties, they may not even embark on the journey. My kids are still young yet and maybe I am wrong.

This is just what I have noticed here and I would like to know if it applies to the model. Where does encouragement fit into the Sudbury Model?

Thank you,
CindyK