DSM: Re: role of parents

Kristin Harkness (kristin@harkness.net)
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:39:23 -0500

I am going to gingerly try to address this one, since I have never been
staff at a Sudbury model school, and since many folks who I admire are, and
either have children enrolled now or did so in the past. I believe that the
concern arises for children of staff as they get older and begin to use
their independence and test limits.

Home (while children are children) can never be fully democratic. As
parents, we have the responsibility to keep our children safe. No matter
how much freedom we cede to our children (and yes, I believe that in the
family it is not theirs by right but by gift) there are times when the
rubber hits the road, and parents must exert their authority.

School, when one's parents are not present, is a different matter. There,
one is free, and one has rights, and one has responsibilities, and one is
held accountable by one's peers. Do the crime, do the time. Figure out how
to function in a community. Make mistakes. Grow.

When one's parent or parents are at school, however, I think there is the
possibility that the home dynamic can interfere with the school dynamic.
The extent to which this happens is likely dependent on the individual
parents/children involved.

I asked my daughter her opinion and she said: "I think it's up to the child.
When you're little it's kind of cool, you know, it's easier to arrange
sleep-overs and stuff. But when you get older you want your privacy."

Kristin Harkness