Re: DSM: RE: Boredom

Avenfeliz1@aol.com
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:58:33 EST

In a message dated 12/7/00 11:03:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
swoodall@bluecrab.org writes:

<< Susan, years ago, near the end of my daughter's interminably boring
 third grade year, I told the principal that she would be homeschooling
 the following year. His reply was a shocked look and, "Have you gotten
 a second opinion about this?"
 I didn't laugh in his office, but I sure have laughed a lot about it
 since then.

Susan and Sara,

I put my son in a traditional first grade class after a time in at Fairhaven.
As I was walking down the hallways to pick him up on his first day, the most
depressing feeling came over me. What I saw, heard, felt was outright
oppressive.
When I reached my son's classroom, he saw me and ran for his backpack and
couldn't get out of there fast enough. He "Get me outta here" look. The
teacher started stuffing all this coloring junk into his backpack (One of
them said, "color neatly."). He said, "I don't want that stuff." The
teacher said, "You'll need to bring this back tomorrow." He said, "I'm not
coming back tomorrow." I'm not coming back, ever." She said, "Oh yes you
are." He said, "Why". She said, "Cause if you don't, I'll miss you." He
looked her straight in the eye and said, "I'm NOT coming back here tomorrow."
She talked with me briefly and told me he got up from his seat when he wanted
to, got water without asking and even tried to go to the bathroom withouth
permission. (heaven forbid!)
Well, he didn't return. He was horrified and he really knew he did not want
to go back there. The principal called me several days later and asked me
what had happened to him. She said, "He actually thinks he has a choice in
this." I said, "He most certainly does." Dead silence for some time. She
said, "It's not healthy to give a young child that kind of responsibility."
I asked her, "Why not?" (If she had a good reason, I was willing to listen.)
She had no answer with any substance. She asked me what I'd do and I said, "
"something else." She called me two times after that concerned about
Matthew's "welfare." I simply told her it was no longer her concern. She
then used the "scare" tactic. "By law, he must be educated." I responded,
"Mrs. _________ I'm much more fearful of leaving my son at your school than
breaking the law." She was just astounded. I wasn't about to tell her about
Fairhaven. It's not my job to "enlighten" her. It would be like spitting in
the wind anyway.

Kathleen