DSM: Boredom

Susan Jarquin (jarquin@pacbell.net)
Thu, 07 Dec 2000 09:24:44 -0800

Greetings,
    One of the reasons that I am researching the Sudbury Model is that I am
extremely dissatisfied with the behavior of my children. After they leave their
traditional school and have free time, they have become extremely bored and
helpless.
    We were not happy as homeschoolers. I think homeschooling can be very lonely
and does not promote equality. I had always envisioned returning to work and
dropping my kids off at school. Deanna (7) and Amanda (5) want to go to school and
learn in a group.
    After having tried this for 3 months now, I have learned that with this new
behavior I am actually able to work less as I am having to literally sit in between
them so that they will not physically abuse each other.
    In my heart I know that this is typical behavior and they will not grow out of
it. I have to accept it or find some Alternative Education. Does this seem to be
an issue with the children enrolled in Sudbury Schools?
Thank you,
Susan Jarquin