Re: DSM:

Mike Sadofsky (sadofsky@mediaone.net)
Thu, 07 Dec 2000 13:26:54 -0500

>From my "for what it's worth" department:
When I talk about Sudbury Valley, I almost invariably say
something like the following.
"Parents (and family) are the most important people and
influences in a kid's life, yet the process of growing up is
one of separating from the family, of developing
independence of thought, of ideas, of practices, etc.
As much as we want to see our kids develop this
independence, it remains a difficult process for us as
parents. We want to retain the ability to influence our
kids (and their lives) even as we want to see them succeed
without us. And this continues regardless of their age.
They are always "our kids."
Dealing with this "human factor" within the SVM means that
parents DO NOT have a role within the day to day operation
of the school. Reality, particularly in smaller schools,
does mean that some parents are there as staff, but this
creates an issue for those parents as staff and for their
kids as enrolled students. This is discussed in some depth
in the Sudbury literature as is the issue of non-staff
parents spending time at school when they have not been
invited to do so by the School Meeting."
Mike