Re: DSM: RE: Simple solution

Wed, 06 Dec 2000 16:50:00 -0800

This is a simple matter of trusting democracy. The similarity to U.S.
politics is the provision for amendments to the constitution. Were it that
our fundamental operations could not evolve in behalf of social evolution
where would we be today?

It is interesting though... I recently heard a comment that we are a social
democracy and a political republic ("And to the republic for which it
stands, one nation..."). I suppose in some ways Sudbury too has appointed
people who take action in behalf of the community with no public vote taking
place on every action. The danger in a republic is when community people
loose touch with their responsibility to influence leadership. A person may
loose interest, become ignorant, never be informed, feel helpless, or have a
belief that there is a lack of communication, finances or time to be a
contributor. When the individual is not responsible for direction and
change, he must be a pawn of status quo. What is so simply is what is so. As
Paul Harvey says, "There can be no democracy without responsibility". And
thus are we destroying the ecology of the planet, and we elect liars as
presidents. "Them" is not at fault, it is us and our status quo.

Is there a corollary to SVS? The students often seem to say they have little
interest in or involvement with or understanding of the JC for most of the
time they are a student there. Yet the JC is a constant supreme influence on
the culture and happenings at the school. Talk about a pink elephant in the
living room! Did SVS create a proletariat? If not, how is it I have missed
indicators that students have been proud of their influence as members of
the Sudbury community?

robert