Re: DSM: 10% ???

Scott Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:19:50 -0500 (EST)

The Myalin sheath which forms around the axons of neurons has two effects.

  1: That the signal being carried when the neuron fires can be carried
faster. (Physically, the myalin sheath develops "nodes" along it, spaced
just far enough that the electrical charge will jump from node to node
rather than having traverse the entire length of the axon in chemical
form. And, indeed, one form of physical retardation comes from the
inability of the brain to physically maintain the myalin coating on its
most used neurons.)

  2: That the connection between those neurons is more "habitual" and less
likely to be broken _or_ expanded to include other neurons.

Of course, in the modern era when celebrities are praised for good words
when they point at people engaged in childhood development and say "look,
look, they aren't learning as much as they should" it is not surprising
that these two facts are read by some as signs that children are not using
enough of their brains' potential. Naturally people whose allegiance is
to curricula would think that the habitual memorization of that curricula,
without critical consideration of it, is a sign of better use of the
brain.

Note that my information on the Myalin Sheath may be a bit outdated or
hazy, gathered about 10 years ago (mostly from a 1990 neuorpsychology
text) while I was working as a research assistant at the Boston VA
Hospital.

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Robert Swanson wrote:

> Seems like close to a year ago, I believe it was on Paul Harvey News -- a
> report that science suspected we may only use something like 3% of our
> brain, not 10% as previously believed.
>
> Old wives tale? Joseph Pearce claims his statements come from extensive
> research. He is very outspoken - many lectures and several books. I have not
> seen anyone knock him down (see reviews at amazon.com). Glancing at "Making
> Connections: Teaching and the Human Brain" I see confirmation of Pearce's
> information (though nothing on percent brain used). I don't believe it is a
> matter of whether the neurons fire, but rather, what is the extent of
> myalination occurring in the multitude of possible neural connections,
> especially during youth. Also, tension shifts function to the more primitive
> brain structures. Of course they would be more developed, perhaps to the
> exclusion of higher brain development (except perhaps at SVS).
>
> Anybody else looked into this? I will certainly continue - this is a vital
> issue. Isn't it strange, people soon notice whether they have a watch or if
> a clock is in the room, yet fail to notice if they are using their head to
> any extent.
>
> robert
>
> on 11/26/00 5:28 AM, Scott Gray at sgray@aramis.sudval.org wrote:
> > Robert,
> > Putting on my hat as an amateur in the social sciences... Your
> > underlying premise is mistaken -- the claim that only 10% of the human
> > brain is actually used is an old wives tale. Every single neuron and
> > glial cell seems to have some direct use in making us who we are in _all_
> > people (barring a handful of persons with neurological dysfunction).
> > Believe me, if I were to surgically remove the 90% of your neurons which
> > fire least, I guarantee that someone will notice the difference -- those
> > cells are _not_ unused. By the same token, if I force those cells which
> > fire less frequently to fire often, once again someone will notice the
> > difference as you spasm and recall things and produce words without any
> > outside cause and effect!
> >
> > Putting on my hat as a person who has a long standing involvement with
> > Sudbury Valley... One of the fundamental assumptions of the school is
> > that no life is inherently better or more fulfilling than any other -- we
> > do not assume (as most schools do) that it is "better" to be an academic
> > or a political leader or a successful businessman or a well respected
> > artist, than it is to run a small shop be a gardener be an auto mechanic
> > or be a film critic for a tiny paper.
> > What _if_ there is "more"? Who is to decide what is "more?" We leave
> > that to the free market of ideas. If some people at SVS immerse
> > themselves more deeply in academia, and somehow exploit their own mind and
> > energy than others, we don't object to them doing it _or_ to others seeing
> > it and following their example. But we don't encourage it either.
> [...]

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org
http://www.sudval.org/~sdg
[Some people] assume that I am a great lover of nature.
Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm a great lover
of the world, which is something quite different. Nature is
a figment of the romantic imagination, and a very insidious
figment at that. There simply is no such thing as nature --
in the sense of a realm of being from which humans can
distinguish themselves. It just doesn't exist.

-- Daniel Quinn