DSM: 10% ???

Mon, 27 Nov 2000 01:53:55 -0800

Seems like close to a year ago, I believe it was on Paul Harvey News -- a
report that science suspected we may only use something like 3% of our
brain, not 10% as previously believed.

Old wives tale? Joseph Pearce claims his statements come from extensive
research. He is very outspoken - many lectures and several books. I have not
seen anyone knock him down (see reviews at amazon.com). Glancing at "Making
Connections: Teaching and the Human Brain" I see confirmation of Pearce's
information (though nothing on percent brain used). I don't believe it is a
matter of whether the neurons fire, but rather, what is the extent of
myalination occurring in the multitude of possible neural connections,
especially during youth. Also, tension shifts function to the more primitive
brain structures. Of course they would be more developed, perhaps to the
exclusion of higher brain development (except perhaps at SVS).

Anybody else looked into this? I will certainly continue - this is a vital
issue. Isn't it strange, people soon notice whether they have a watch or if
a clock is in the room, yet fail to notice if they are using their head to
any extent.

robert

on 11/26/00 5:28 AM, Scott Gray at sgray@aramis.sudval.org wrote:
> [...]
> that no life is inherently better or more fulfilling than any other -- we
> do not assume (as most schools do) that it is "better" to be an academic
> or a political leader or a successful businessman or a well respected
> artist, than it is to run a small shop be a gardener be an auto mechanic
> or be a film critic for a tiny paper.
> What _if_ there is "more"? Who is to decide what is "more?" We leave
> that to the free market of ideas. If some people at SVS immerse
> themselves more deeply in academia, and somehow exploit their own mind and
> energy than others, we don't object to them doing it _or_ to others seeing
> it and following their example. But we don't encourage it either.
> And finally, this is why other schools are innately anti-intellectual
> while Sudbury schools are not. Putting academia on a pedestal, and
> assuming that it is somehow _innately_ more noble, has a very serious
> disadvantage in other schools. Those schools are sending a message --
> that academia _must_ be dull or why the heck would these other people feel
> obliged to cajole us to be more involved in academic pursuits? It
> teaches, first and foremost, that the "most important thing in life" is so
> dull that authorities in your life feel you wouldn't pursue it without
> being cajoled -- and thereby it teaches that everyone expects a
> _successful_ life to be uninteresting.
>
> As a footnote on the question of the origin of the "10% of the brain"
> wives tale... This is based upon some half-baked assumptions, some of
> which are outrageous (e.g. "we can calculate how many 'things' a person
> can remember about any given scene we show her/him, and how much room that
> would optimally take in the human brain") and some of which are ridiculous
> (e.g. "its obvious that the only use of the human brain is to remember
> things"). This formulation was very common in the popular press during
> the height of the "behaviorist" model of the brain (since pretty straight
> out debunked) which assumes that mind is only a "black box" and not worthy
> of study and then goes on to assume that the "black box" doesn't even
> exist. Bear in mind that we only recently began to hesitantly catalog
> some functions of the glial cells in the brain (formerly thought to be
> only 'support structures') -- who is such an expert neurologist that s/he
> can successfully say what role any given (let alone every given) neuron or
> glial cell is playing? And why hasn't s/he been awarded the Nobel prize
> yet? Forget it -- the brain is not just a memory bank, it is a personality
> machine and, as near as we can tell, it works to its _full_ potential to
> do that well!
>
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Robert Swanson wrote:
>
>> on 11/22/00 6:23 AM, Rick Stansberger at rickstan@zianet.com wrote:
>>> ...And that's my answer to your question about what I think goes on in
>>> sudschools: people doing what they were designed to do. Lungs breathe,
>>> learn. And by "learn" I don't mean absorb information or record