Re: DSM: all thumbs

Evfocus@aol.com
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:59:16 EST

I appreciated your letter. It was also synchronistic. I have an eight year
old daughter that attends now Sudbury School. Before that she attended a
public school a few blocks from our house.

Yesterday, I took my daughters (I also have a four year old) to the
neighborhood school so we could ride our bikes. It looked like steam was
rising from the yard. I thought that was odd. When we got closer, I could see
it was smoke.

There was a smoldering fire in the tan bark and a bunch of blackened coffee
cans. I could see part of the plastic slide was melted. This play structure
is only a year old.

 It is ironic that two years ago when I my daughter was a student there, I
had sat in on the PTA meeting where the PTA voted to fund the new play
structure. No students were there of course.

Nothing could be stronger evidence of what happens when you think the best
way to educate children is providing the best teachers, best books, best
equipment. If we don't respect our children's dreams, curiosities, and
decisions, how can we expect that in return? How much destroyed school
property, Columbines, does it take to wake people up?

I would like to see the article you wrote. I am working on writing a letter
to the editor about what happened at the neighborhood school.
Evelyn
Parent of a Diablo Valley Student