Re: DSM: role models

Avenfeliz1@aol.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:07:22 EST

In a message dated 11/22/00 4:24:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
robertswanson@icehouse.net writes:

> > don't address the problem or dysfunction as that is usually a substitute
> > for their passion or creativity.

Rayner,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. (miss those visual cues on this
computer!) Do you mean to say that dysfunction should be swept under the
rug in this arena? Are the staff not allowed to have dysfunction? If not, is
it then not okay for the children to have periods/areas of the same? If the
children can pick up the staff following their passion, I think they can pick
up a snow job. How can one pursue their passion if their dysfunction has not
yet been addressed? One thing I have obsererved from children is that that
they know the real deal when they see it. They can also spot a staff
member's faking it in a heartbeat. I believe it would be of great value for
staff members to deal with their dysfunctions (fears) in this arena,
especially if they are to be around children at "their" various levels of
dysfunction.

The more my areas of dysfunction are in my face, the more I must deal with
them. If I didn't address them, they would probably take over the best parts
of my life, including my passions.

I don't believe dysfunction is used by staff members (or anyone else) as a
substifute for passion or creativity. I think it's used as an excuse not to
pursue those passions, subconciously, perhaps.

Kathleen