Re: DSM: It's the $$$, stupid.

Dawn F. Harkness (dawn@harkness.net)
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:05:52 -0500

Bruce,

I, for one, see no contradiction in your posts. And I think your points are
well taken and I hope I can rise to the challenge in my response.

My reply to chrisgo's message was triggered by what I perceive to be a
common justification by teachers who choose to participate in the system for
their own personal profit even though they themselves already know how evil
the system is. Since she/he made it very clear that the ONLY reason she/he
did the work was for the money, I judged that motivation accordingly. To
me, there's a kind of crassness to such greed and it really bugs me. Ipso
facto, very poor role model in my book.

It seems to me that your AVS colleagues may fit a different bill. Given your
evaluation of their situations, it would seem that at least one reason
Colleague #2 works in the traditional school model is to support the work of
her husband who is committed to the establishment of AVS. That would be a
horse of a different color. Of course, I think it would be better if she
could find a way to use her skills to make money other than to give comfort
to the enemy, but I find it harder to oppose her decision. Hence I would
not be able to make a prima facie case against either one of them as poor
role models.

I understand your conflict with Colleague #3; it may surprise you to know
that I have some #3s in my life. Yes it is true. I deeply love some people
who are on the other side even though I hate the choices they have made in
their careers. I have known and loved my #3s for many years, since before
they became teachers. I love them for our long histories together. I love
them for how much fun we have had together. I love them for everything we
have been through together. I love them, because they love me. But I don't
love them for their work and they love me in spite of my many shortcomings.

My #3s and I are all pretty clear about where we stand on the issues. In
fact it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were lurking in this
forum. When asked my opinion on the subject, they get an honest answer. I
love that they still come to me for advice for how to deal with the issues
they face in their work. But mostly, we have agreed to disagree on that
subject. We focus on the things we have in common, like our mutual life
long obsessions with the Red Sox.

So, to the degree that my condemnation of chrisgo's choices may have been
simplistic, I think that it should be interpreted in the context of the
simplistic rationalization which she/he put forward. I get that there are
many shades of grey and I'm happy to try to find ways of distinguishing one
from another within the context of a spirited debate.

Dawn