Scott Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:46:03 -0500 (EST)

Hi Reeny,

  Well, one thing you'll note is that "expert" is a funny term in this
context. Certainly there are some people in this discussion who have been
part of schools that grant political democracy, liberty, and equality
before the law to their students -- and some of those have been involved
more or less than others.
  Certainly some people have more expirtise in this than others. We can
just count ourselves fortunate that there is no particular criterion for
being an "expert."

  In any case, that being said... You will find some correlations between
the things being said by people who have been deeply involved in these
sorts of schools, or who have been involved longer in these sorts of
schools.
  Rarely is it in the form of a "positive" philosophy that suggests a list
of things the community "must" do to be an example of the model. Much
more frequently it is in the form of a "negative" philosophy that says "oh
yeah, if that school does that it is not what we're talking about." In
other words, there is "no one right way to do things" but there are
_plenty_ of wrong ways to do things.

  By way of defense of a "negative" philosophy... A negative philosophy
allows much more freedom to individuals within the context of a community
that follows that philosophy. A positive philosophy lists a handful of
things that one "must" do, and thereby channels people down a very narrow
path, while a negative philosophy lists explicitly those things which must
_not_ be done leaving the rest open.

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 isamom@mindspring.com wrote:

> > I don't know why you would be offended just because all parents in our
> > schools don't "get it" right away or ever.
>
> I'm sorry, I guess I'm sensitive to the constant criticism of parents not
> "getting it", when I can't find one consistent, agreed-upon philosophy from
> the experts. However, I will keep listening. Peace out.
> Reeny

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org
http://www.sudval.org/~sdg
When I was in school, I cheated on my metaphysics exam: I
looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

-- Woody Allen