RE: DSM: public school prisons (sharing the SVS model, etc.)

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:27:05 -0500

> Well, since you asked, aside from the glaring evidence (to me)
> that the list
> is formulated to characterize parents seeking better educational
> opportunities for their children as dumb, it's also pieced together in a
> mean spirited way. Maybe that's Mimsy's style, personally, I
> tend to go for
> the flippant, sarcastic, cheap shots. The list seemed general,
> vague and not
> attributed to anyone or with any evidence to support its criticisms.
> Regardless, I think you can catch more flies with honey then vinegar, at
> least where the parents are concerned.

Reeny, I think anyone who has experience with an operating Sudbury model
school wouldn't have a problem with the list, as the items do a pretty
complete job of describing the various types of parents we see within our
schools.

I don't really understand the criticism, I don't understand why you think
it's mean-spirited or condescending to parents. I, for instance, proudly
fit in item #2.

I'm sorry, I just read it again, and the only mean-spirited-ness and sarcasm
I see on this page is yours, Reeny (not that I have a problem with sarcasm -
my favorite author, Mr. William S., is one of the most sarcastic
m_____f_____s of all time).

If any of the items speak to the ignorance, apathy, or agenda of some
parents, it's only because that's what we sometimes see at the schools, and
I don't know why you would be offended just because all parents in our
schools don't "get it" right away or ever.

??

-Joe Jackson
please note my new email address:
shoeless@jazztbone.com