Sugmapl@aol.com
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:28:55 EST

Dear Mimsy,

I ask for your feedback and that of the whole list. Maybe I'm not seeing this
thing correctly. To me it certainly appears that Sudbury Valley is about the
freedom of children and not about education. To me this seems so clear that I
don't even think Sudbury Valley is a school.

If Sudbury is about education then we really do care about the results. We
care that the child becomes self-reliant and intrinsically motivated and
finds their passion and maybe a lot of other good and righteous things. Then
the freedom that is offered is just the best, most powerful pedagogy that we
know.

If Sudbury is about the freedom of children, then we make our decision to
offer a deep and profound regard to the child and then we give up all hope of
results. If the child can stay within the norms of the community, they may do
any damn thing they want, for as long as they want, without critique,
judgement, evaluation, explanation, defense or argument.

I invite any and all response

Bill Richardson