Rick Stansberger (rickstan@zianet.com)
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:40:50 -0700

Rick,

Msadofsky@aol.com wrote:

> Well, whoa. Rick asked a question. I answered it. My intent was not to
> attract parents who probably want a different kind of school than a Sudbury
> model school, but merely to help someone working on founding such a school to
> have an idea what his group will be up against, and his school once it is
> going. I don't think most of these parents are "dumb". I don't think most
> people who don't believe in the same way of educating children that I believe
> in are "dumb". But I do know with certainty that they can deflect a lot of
> the energy of the school in less than wholesome ways.
> Mimsy

That's my concern, too, Mimsy -- the kind and direction of energy.

I've been surprised by a sort of hardness I've encountered among some of the SVM
supporters on this list and elsewhere. I'm sure it looks different from the
inside, and I'd like your opinion on it.

I've seen and heard that kind of "my way or the highway" thinking before, and
not in places where I'm comfortable being. Do sudburians just get tired of the
same old questions all the time? Does the outside world begin to look evil and
unconscionably stupid the more you get inside?

I know how to win people over. It was my main professional weapon in tradschools
for years. And "hardening of the categories" isn't it.

Or have sudburians given up the notion of winning people over at all, and are
just looking for the ones who are already on the same side?

In my humble o, that may be a serious tactical mistake. No matter how many
startup schools there are, SVS is more than the flagship. This is still a
one-school movement. In order to continue, it's got to de-centralize.

Rick

--
"Weirdness abounds and shatters our illusion of order.  Heh-heh.  All the
dust is being blown out from under the carpet. Wonderful stuff!"

Wanda Hamilton-Quinn