Dawn F. Harkness (dawn@harkness.net)
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 22:32:23 -0500

Rick, I object to your characterization of my post. You'll note that I
did not growl, snarl or snap. (Is that your way of calling me a dog? If
so, you are such a pig!) Since you obviously do not know me personally, I
feel compelled to inform you: I have no goon squads, and I am among the
least "haughty" people I know. . Of course, "haughty" is among the
traditional put downs wimpy guys put on intelligent educated women, so maybe
that explains your use of the word. Am I edgy and opinionated? Yes. A
little brighter than the average bear, probably. But haughty? Sorry, in
the non-sexist context of the word, you've got the wrong woman.

I have tremendous empathy for all kinds of folks, but I have no empathy for
those who make obnoxious remarks inferring condescension on the part of a
woman I know who was making an honest attempt to answer a question regarding
why parents enrolled their kids in SVS. If Reeny wanted to be treated with
respect, she should have accorded it to Mimsy instead of the flippant
sarcastic remark she posted to this discussion forum without any explanation
for why she said it. I will probably always take umbrage with folks for
pulling that kind of verbal cheap shot. I think it is funny how they always
seem to be able to dish it out but can't seem to take it. Bummer for them.

FYI, I intend to help bring about the SVM revolution through strictly legal
means using my own quirky skill set to advance my own civil rights agenda.
One of my favorite lawyers, Gandhi, taught that non-violence does not mean
non-confrontational. I am eternally thankful that my contribution to the
SVM revolution won't have to depend on my ability to persuade the masses of
the ill-informed, just some well placed folks like judges and legislators.
You can spend your time trying to gently enlighten everyone else. Knock
yourself out. That's your choice. Be glad you live in a place where you
can make that choice and the State doesn't make it for you. I'm also glad I
live in a place where I can speak my mind whether anyone likes it or not and
I don't have to conform my expressions to appease the politeness police. I
don't care if I win Miss Congeniality in your book, because you aren't
exactly anywhere in the running for my award for brightest bulb in the
chandelier. Therefore, I suggest you stick to criticizing exactly what I
say rather than your fantasies about how you think I am saying it. In the
future, I'll do the same for you.