DSM: About innate understanding of the world

Marko Koskinen (marko@vapaus.net)
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:35:48 +0200

I just wanted to say a few words about this subject, because I've come
to understand something that I didn't understand before... =)

There's a lot of debate about the state of an infant. I mean people
argue about what the child understands when (s)he is born.

I've come to understand that a child knows already a lot when (s)he is
born. S/he has build already a world view. The world view contains lots
of warmth and safety. And that's why I believe that when a child is born
the shock is tremendous, because all of a sudden the whole world view is
torn apart and a totally different world is shown.

The concept of conflict with the innate understanding of the benign
reality means that because all knowledge is built upon old knowledge the
things that a baby learns in the womb will stay with the person till the
end of his/her life. It will stay as the "real truths" - "truth of the
heart" in the persons subconscious. And when something happens that is
not in harmony with that "truth", it will cause a conflict and emotions.
With good attention, love and safety, the person can start discharging
his/her emotions and get rid of that conflict, but usually children or
adults are not that lucky... and so people get more and more conflicts
inside their heads, and become more and more irrational and like robert
has been telling the intellect becomes more and more fragile and
unreliable.

But as I have been telling, the intellect can be fixed by discharging
and getting rid of those conflicts. It's a hell of a job, but I've found
it very rewarding. It has abled me to learn loads of new stuff and
becoming more and more happy and hopeful - restoring my "real truth".

Marko