RE: DSM:

Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:45:22 -0800

Good points. One possible difference - as we got our school up to 20
students (took 3.5 years), things got much better for everybody - students,
staff and at least in our case, parents. Even 20 students provide a lot of
opportunity for friends and associations (in the informal sense).

On a personal note, my 7 year old daughter had a hard time her first year -
we started with only about 11 kids, and there weren't enough little girls
for her to be friends with. The little boys didn't have time for her (or, at
least, not enough time - which is a LOT with my daughter). But this year,
with 3 little girls within a year or two of her age, she's so much happier
she practically glows.

Anyway, just saying that 20 may not be too small a number - but that the mix
is going to be more important to some kids at that size.

Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: Marko Koskinen [mailto:marko@vapaus.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 1:04 AM
To: discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org
Subject: Re: DSM:

I guess I can answer only to the third guestion...

The problems I see are these: 20-30 kids is very few. Kids want to be
most of their time with kids they can relate to and that usually means
kids at similar age. If you have 20-30 kids of age varying from 4 to 19,
you're not having too many kids at same age, and that will bug the
kids...

Another problem is that you're the only adult, at least the only one
who's there all the time. What happens when you get sick or get bored or
become disabled to do the job?

I think you will need a lot of support at the beginning, because there's
gonna be alot of problems related to the much discussed topic of getting
used to the freedom at school - the culture shock.

Hmm... Well, those are the problems that came to my mind at first. The
good thing is that it will probably be better than any other
alternative, so go ahead and do it, but if you can make it a bigger
school or learning center, do it... just an advice... =)

Marko Koskinen
Finland