The Highland School (highland@ruralnet.org)
Fri, 04 Jan 1980 18:43:45 -0500

Having taught school teachers and administrators in graduate classes, I
agree that teachers should not be the scapegoats for an oppressive
system. Whether in educational research, history, or curriculum
classes, I find teachers by and large willing to look at what they're
doing and reflect on why they are choosing it. One problem with change
lies in the myth that "it can't happen here" (meaning democratic
schools). Being able to point to actual ongoing schools practicing
democracy and respect for kids is vital to changing the focus from
apathetic "how to survive in the system" discussions to "let's build our
own schools". We need democratic schools in various economic,
geographic, and cultural areas so excuses can't be made that "it can't
happen here."
   My mother used to say "Better to light a candle, than curse the
darkness." As usual simple analogies can be dangerous, but I think if
you have the strength to light a candle - do it. There are usually lots
of people willing and able to curse the darkness. Candy Landvoigt