Re: DSM: Whole Other World

Rick Stansberger (rickstan@zianet.com)
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:19:22 -0700

There! You've put your finger on the difference between us!

You see the brain as a passive computer waiting to be programmed. I see it as an
active organ like lung or kidney, which will do its function by the very nature of
its existence. I see the brain as self-programming through curiosity, and you
discount curiosity and focus on societal factors. This explains why I value
intellect as the highest of human functions (because it connects to reality and sees
through illusion) and you see it as the greatest evil (because it reflects the
programming put into it).

No doubt we are both right.

Now I will be able to understand you much better instead of saying to myself, "Where
the &^%$ is he coming from!?"

Thanks, Robert, for bearing with me in this discussion.

Rick