Marko Koskinen (marko@vapaus.net)
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:24:04 +0200

I think Rick has a good point here. Teachers are very oppressed as a
professional group. They get all the blame but almost no gratitude.
Teachers are the scapegoats of the oppressing society we live in, just
like parents. Teachers have quite limited freedom to do as they would
like to do. They are given a curriculum to follow and are preassured to
teach using a paradigm (behaviorism) abandoned for long time ago in the
science of learning. I believe teachers know this by heart, but they
aren't given this information and thus they struggle to do their job as
they are told hoping to do at least something right.

Teachers are oppressed. They do as good a job as they possibly can and
they should by no means be blamed. Teachers are good people who are
raised by the oppressive society. Some have grown out of the oppression
but most haven't, and it's not their fault.

The only way to make some real changes in the schools is to support
teachers, form support groups and break the traditional isolation that
is so too damn common among teachers.

As much as most of us have hated and still hate the schools, we
shouldn't pour all our hatered upon the teachers, because that's the
most unappropriate target we can find.

Marko Koskinen
Finland