Kathleen Stilwell (kastilwell@yahoo.com)
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:23:27 -0800 (PST)

--- Rick Stansberger <rickstan@zianet.com> wrote:
> Kristen,
>
> I don't imagine that most people completely accept
> the whole SVM model all at
> once -- or if they do, I bet that most of them have
> at least one really bad
> moment when the model actually starts to run and
> something happens that they
> didn't expect. Do any SVM schools have ongoing
> support groups to help the
> parents get over their objections?
>
> Rick
---------------------
Rick,
objections...
Last year I began recruiting like-minded folks to form
a SVM founder's group in Las Vegas. Over time it
became apparent that even our founding parents did not
agree to accept the model. Freedom is a really scary
concept to most folks.
Nevada's board of education denied our request to
start the school (although state law provides a
loophole that should allow us to start the school), so
we never got to the point where the model was
challenged by our own founders. But I could clearly
see the need to have a core group of people who had no
reservations about working with the model, without
remolding the school to match individual comfort
zones.
On retrospect, I think it's probably more important to
focus on bringing together founders with an unshakable
conviction to adhere to the model. New parents could
then be reassured by the founders' unity.
Kathy Stilwell, Las Vegas