Re: DSM: Therapy and SVM (was: public school prisons (sharing the SVS model, ...

Avenfeliz1@aol.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:04:58 EST

In a message dated 11/15/00 10:51:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
marko@vapaus.net writes:

> RC theory kind of states that there is no need for such a thing as
> "therapy". People have a natural way of healing their hurts if they are
> given good enough attention, respect and love. The healing process is
> usually very visible showing as tantrums, crying, perspiration, yawning,
> laughing, etc.

Marko,

Thank you for the rundown on RC theory. And I agree with you that we adults
could help the system along by using it. I've always believed that the
Sudbury model is indeed "therapy" in the sense that you use it. Sometimes
staff members and other children must deal with tantrums, crying, laughing.
Unfortunately, children get written up sometimes for such things as an
infringement on others' rights to exist peacably in the community or contempt
in J.C.
I believe that if the staff knew what they were "seeing" beyond the actual
behavior, the respect and love would be easier to produce and provide.
Kathleen