Re: DSM: Aloof, & free to be stupid

Rayner Garner (intuit@ncal.verio.com)
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:14:18 -0800

Robert Swanson wrote:

> Intellectually it is fairly easy to draw lines and say that the students are
> left alone at Sudbury schools. That is the majority of our intent and so the
> intellect decides this is what is so. Not really. Wouldn't it be an
> interesting experiment if adults stopped showing up at school during
> regular hours, and instead did administrative work at home or after hours.
> And kids had to call them to school to teach when needed. What would happen
> to the school culture?
Snip>>> Teachers are expected to appear useful.

At Summerhill teachers were expected to pursue their passion. Their
particular creative expression. If students expressed an interest and
desire to experiment, learn or doodle for a while to see if that was of
interest they could draw information, expertise or whatever was required
by them from the teacher. The desire came from the student.

I do this with adults attempting to heal from parenting and schooling.
I teach the technology of accessing intuition and acting upon it. I
don't address the problem or dysfunction as that is usually a substitute
for their passion or creativity.
Rayner