DSM: Aloof, & free to be stupid

Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:25:50 -0800

Intellectually it is fairly easy to draw lines and say that the students are
left alone at Sudbury schools. That is the majority of our intent and so the
intellect decides this is what is so. Not really. Wouldn't it be an
interesting experiment if adults stopped showing up at school during
regular hours, and instead did administrative work at home or after hours.
And kids had to call them to school to teach when needed. What would happen
to the school culture?

I don't know, I just imagine a strong background influence keeping the
current culture in place. This influence may be mostly in two aspects. One,
spending most hours aloof from student activities may imply age
differentiation or descrimination. Two, by just being around the school the
adults are mentoring during any real or implied contact. Many things could
be modeled: dress, languaging, temperment, promptness, emotional expression
(or lack of), various interests and disinterests, playfulness or lack of,
vitality or lack of. One SVS student commented that "adults seem so tired
and slow". This is poor mentoring. Note that the students expressed much
enthusiasm for contact with the SVS cook. She had food as reinforcement for
her mentoring. She was valued for her verbal behaviors - invitations to
participate, and speaking to the language and variety of interests of
students. She got involved. Thus, she was treasured for not being aloof.
Another teacher, one who kept to herself, often reading, was on the hit list
for not being re-elected. Teachers are expected to appear useful. So, here
are indicators that students are not left alone. I suspect the influence is
much stronger than anyone suspects. It may not all be bad. It could be
influencing greater self-respect and sense of fairness.

I am very interested in whether this assumed freedom really does potentiate
the more interesting possibilities. The one I harp on most is the exchange
of cerebrum for intellect. We use ten percent of higher brain function just
because intellect does not think it cosher to have feelings guide human
development and standards. On the other hand, it seems that if feelings
guided development brain function and creatvity would be astoundingly
advanced.

People not allowed to develop two-thirds of their brain are not free. They
are not developing. The education model intended to potentiate students has
failed miserably. The intellectual assumption that what is so (lack of brain
function) is normal can be nothing but insanity. That mentors actively allow
this disfunction by not adressing it would be unthinkable to an intelligent,
caring human. By remaing aloof from the students we don't directly degrade
them, yet we still mentor a status quo acceptance of humanity as duly
imbecilic. Passive cruelty is acceptable. Avoidence is a strength to
emulate.

I enjoy replying,
robert