RE: DSM: public school prisons (sharing the SVS model, etc.)

Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:51:48 -0800

A parent here.

It's nice to hear how others have reshaped their lives in accord with
Sudbury principles.

I fail miserably at giving up authority over my kids. That's one of the
reasons I love the model so much - that, even if I fail, my kids get at
least 5 or so hours a day out from under my thumb (and anybody else's thumb
as well).

And it's a pain to deal with forceful, opinionated 9 and 7 year olds - we
get to do the whole teenage deal way early. So my kids are educating ME
about freedom, respect and responsibility.

I think (well, I hope, anyway) that I'm getting better - I don't boss so
much, ask for cooperation (it's amazing how willingly I get it, sometimes,
if I ask nicely), and try to be sure that choices that should be the kid's
remain the kid's. Sloppy, messy, incomplete - but it beat hell out of the
alternative.