Kristin Harkness (kristin@harkness.net)
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:05:33 -0500

>So in selling the idea of our new school, I can continually expect to come
up
>against the irrational programming and "old stuff" type of issues in the
parents
>I talk to? I hate the thought of just letting them go and looking for the
few
>who are ready to have independent children. Any suggestions?
>
>Rick

Let them go. You don't want parents who are not committed to this idea on
their own. If you 'sell' them, what happens when they start to doubt? When
their kid comes home for the 60th time and says s/he did 'nothing' all day?
When their 8 year old is not reading? I think the answer is that they will
blame you.

However, you do not have to be totally discouraged. Plenty of parents see
the beauty of the Sudbury model right away. I did. I have talked with
people who read the SVS web site and decided right then and there to move to
MA and enroll their child(ren). Others change their minds over time, as the
ideas sink in.

For a child to be happy at a Sudbury model school, the parents have to be
comfortable. They will have to arrive at that comfort level themselves.
You can give them information, but they have to take it to heart.

Kristin Harkness