Eduardo Cortina (cortinae@juno.com)
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:23:35 -0500

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:16:47 -0700 Rick Stansberger <rickstan@zianet.com>
writes:
> This is very discouraging to me. I know you don't mean it to be.
> But I've
> found parents to be very difficult to reach when it comes to how
> they relate to
> their children, because that seems to be where they put all the
> unresolved
> problems and conflicts from their own childhoods. Lots of
> irrationality and
> knee-jerk response when you head into that area.
>
> If it's just a matter of spreading a new idea, that's not all that
> hard to do.
> But when the idea hits at the core of someone's existence and
> demands them to go
> through painful self-examination and change, it's no wonder that
> Mimsy said that
> parents who worried about their children in a Sudbury school were
> beyond help.
> It looks as if we're permanently limited to a small market.
>
> So in selling the idea of our new school, I can continually expect
> to come up
> against the irrational programming and "old stuff" type of issues in
> the parents
> I talk to? I hate the thought of just letting them go and looking
> for the few
> who are ready to have independent children. Any suggestions?

Therapy anyone?? Well, not that this would be a bad idea but I think if
you have people who are willing to consider the model and stand back and
take a look at their beliefs and possible misconceptions about learning
and education, there is a chance. Otherwise its probably just better to
let them go. I imagine that a lot of parents have grown and "learned"
from sending their children to sudschools, and what a wonderful benefit
to them as well.

Eduardo