Marko Koskinen (marko@vapaus.net)
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:16:27 +0200

Rick,

I think I know exactly what you mean. It is quite a frustrating task to
do. I have been trying to sell the idea in the education markets here in
Finland and I've come to a conclusion that you really shouldn't "try to
sell" it. The most effective way to change people's thinking is to fully
respect them and listen to them. You may first introduce some fresh
ideas and then start listening. People usually can keep on telling you
how wrong you are and how impossible your ideas are. You mustn't argue,
just listen. It may take a while, but at least I've had some good
experiences doing it.

I've had much help from RC (Re-evaluation Counseling) for my efforts in
listening to people. I have still much to do to be able to respect all
people fully, but that's the goal.

When people are respected and listened to, they will listen in turn and
are able to change their thinking. But it must be you who must respect
first because you want to change the thinking of the other person.

Just as we must respect the children, we must respect and trust the
adults too. Adults are no worse than children, they just have a bit more
stuff inside their heads, and it takes a lot more respect and trust to
change the thinking and behaviour of an adult than it takes for a child.

I believe the NVC (Non-Violent Communication) is also a useful tool for
finding new ways to communicate with "difficult people".

Marko Koskinen
Finland