Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:58:41 EST

In a message dated 11/13/00 10:11:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

 The really insidious thing about this kind of
 education is that children get used to being respected
 and listened to, and they really hate being patronized
 and treated in an arbitrary manner -- this changes
 family dyanmics in huge ways.

I see this so clearly in my family. We've raised our son this way, and he
expects respect from all people. This has caused much friction. When Joe
Blow pats him on the head in the grocery store or a family member tells him
to "be a good boy", he's not a happy camper. Even in a Sudbury school, if he
doesn't get it he becomes angry. (It does happen in Sud schools too, at
My question is this: What does a family do when 90% of the peope out here
don't show respect to children, even children themselves?