Rayner Garner (intuit@ncal.verio.com)
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 07:44:06 -0800

Joseph Roach wrote:

> Greetings all!
>
> The discussion and polemics regarding democratic
> schooling v. public schooling has been fascinating so
> far.

I agree!
Snip>>>
> The answer, quite frankly, is that parents are not
> ready. I have been involved in a democratic school
> for almost six years, and the life of my family has
> changed drastically; yet, I am continually tempted to
> return to old time parenting, where I can order my
> children to bed without a thought, simply because I am
> "father."

We caused some slight consternation in our circle of parents by
giving our infants the "choice" of when to go to bed. We put our
futons down in the living room floor. Infant proofed the house.
We would go to bed when we were tired. Sometimes our children would
crawl into bed before either my wife and I wanted to sleep. So
one of us would go with them for a cuddle until they were
asleep and then get up to do whatever.

If they wanted to stay up later than we did, we would leave a night
light on and go to bed. Then they would crawl in when they wanted.
It was such a relief not to go through the usual drama of enforced
bed time. The same with weaning, eating and many other aspects of
family life. We found that our infant's choice was the best for all
the family. Yes, our egos suffered. That was a small price to pay
for such a relatively stress free life and such responsible and
caring children.
Rayner