Re: DSM: Sharing the SVS model

Rick Stansberger (rickstan@zianet.com)
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 07:51:49 -0700

Robert, please don't take this personally, but I'm wondering if building a
Heartlight school is the first time you've ever gotten passionately involved in the
exploration of anything. I think it might be. The reason I say this is that you
seem to be missing a key concept about sudschools -- you don't seem to get the full
effect of just letting people alone to do what they want. That seems static or
ineffectual to you. Correct me if I'm wrong.

> Still,
> I suspect that development at SVS is simply WHAT IS SO and thus what SHOULD
> be. Yes, they are paying attention to human development. But is there more?

Robert, if you had ever pursued a passion of your own outside the confines of school
(and maybe you have but haven't examine it), you'll notice that "what is so" is
where you begin. And once you're firmly rooted in what is so, you start on a wild,
unpredictable ride of evolution, going in directions you couldn't have guessed.

What was so: My wife, Kate, was teaching in rural Kentucky and got stuck in her
trailer for a week during a blizzard. To keep herself warm, she started making a
quilt.
What happened: She became a prize-winning quilter, nationally recognized for her
work.

What was so: My Mom made me take typing lessons when I was 12. Tired of practicing
the stupid exercises in the book, I started making things up, and did my practicing
out of my head. When I was 15, a poem of mine was published in a national anthology.

Sure, we started in response to constraints, but the little bit of freedom we had
was enough to take off.

It seems to me that you greatly undervalue the power of just leaving people alone,
and I suspect it comes from your lack of a "hobby," or maybe from not looking at
what you do when you do your hobby. I'm not trying to be personal. I'm just trying
to understand why you don't get how powerful the sudschool model is, and you keep
looking for structures and systems to help kids.

There already is an evolutionary system in place in every human being: it's called
the brain. It's more complex and powerful than any system we have yet managed to
devise. It fulfills the two requirements for any evolutionary system: mutation and
selection. it mutates ideas by changing them around and it selects by matching
ideas up with desires. You don't need anything else.

Your WHAT IS is several billion brain cells in the most highly organized
configuration known to man. Don't discount Brother Brain, my friend.

Rick

--
"Weirdness abounds and shatters our illusion of order.  Heh-heh.  All the
dust is being blown out from under the carpet. Wonderful stuff!"

Wanda Hamilton-Quinn