Sugmapl@aol.com
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:15:32 EST

Bruce,

Sudbury Valley calls forth a method qualitatively different than attack and
defend, qualitatively beyond right and wrong. The method of Sudbury Valley is
freedom. What we would best be free of first is a morality that paints public
schools as wrong and Sudbury Valley as right. Please as fast as you can give
up the notion that public schools are wrong. The great benefit in this is
that then Sudbury Valley does not have to be right. It is my deepest belief
that we can build Sudbury Valley schools faster, much faster, if we do not
stop to consider if they are right. Sudbury Valley has institutionalized the
notion of respect for children. This is a stunning accomplishment. Children
can make extremely valuable use of respect. Sudbury Valley schools do not
have to be explained or defended, they have to be built.

As always, if these ideas are not useful, please just forget them

Bill Richardson