Re: DSM: (Almost) errorless measurement as analysis

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:30:21 -0800

I wish to point out that a form of testing continues. It is evaluation.
Daniel Greenberg has given us much evaluation. Input from a variety of
sources has been published. And here in this study we now have something a
little more organized as formal analysis. Whether looking at a specific
student or at the general milieu, the point of looking is similar -- is the
school experience something carried as applicable to experience outside of
school and to what quality? In-the-box thinking believes good grades result
in quality life. Anybody believe this true? Rhonda looked at qualities of
conversation rather than grades. (She did this at Liberty Valley, south of
Chicago.) Here are a few points she came up with. The headings are mine:

SVS Journals October and November 2000: "The Role of Conversation in
Developing Critical Thinking" by Rhonda Goebel

Purpose of this study
-- is to explore the nature of critical thinking as manifested through
spontaneous conversations.

Mentoring
-- They don't need adults to figure things out for them. We figure things
out WITH them. And, like kids of all ages, we serve as role models for,
among other things, repeatedly figuring out new stuff!
-- Children, as the central concern of my research, were examined in the
here and now, as opposed to some potential to be realized, In interviews, I
responded to their lead, with them directing some of our time together, for
example, playing with their toys. I became interested in their capacities,
exploring them in interviews. My intention was to engage them in
conversation in topics of their interest, acknowledging, respecting, and
listening to their thoughts, to ultimately represent them thoroughly and
accurately. ...I avoided being intrusive, respecting their right to have
their school time be as natural as possible.

Quality education
-- ...I could ... tell you which ones had spent a lot of years in this sort
of an educational setting and which were new to it. Not because the ones who
have been here a long time are the most intellectually acute on all
subjects, but because they can hear a subtle, complicated exposition and
understand it in its entirety, and make real contributions... I am going to
repeat that: the length of time a kid has spent in a Sudbury school tells
you a lot about how well they can HEAR. How well they understand... they
have spent their time talking and listening.

The Old School
-- (student) In the old public school I went to I had always been thought of
as the good student. I had started to speak up about things that I felt, and
I always thought that that would be accepted. I'm this good student. They
were thrown to the floor, and I was like spit on...

The model is...
-- Sudbury model schools define themselves as communities of individuals in
evolution (within communication).
-- The pivotal boundary that Sudbury model school members cross is that of
authoritarianism. This fundamentally distinguishes the Sudbury model school
from other alternative reform efforts.
-- Sudbury model school defines itself as a self-chosen community with which
free-thinking individuals feel compelled to comply.
-- ...offers many natural learning opportunities.

Data shows:
-- how self-directed individuals prioritize and maintain values of social
responsibility, privately and publicly, within a democratic community.
-- Sudbury... is conductive to developing a sense of social responsibility.
-- (They) develop public participation skills.
-- young people report being brought back into participating meaningfully in
society at large.
-- ...people realize their power to explicitly determine agreed upon
boundaries of individual and community identity and rights.

Everything has meaning in relationship. This data has meaning when used
against data from public schools, from other Sudbury schools, and when
considered relative to an individual's later sense of success or personal
satisfaction.

A point of interest is the statement "...individuals feel compelled to
comply". Rhonda said she could not comment as part of the study, but this is
an important aspect she wanted to mention. Yes, me too. I want to know what
compels students -- the judiciary punishments, a status quo agenda, shared
interest in supporting creative adventures & projects or mental focuses,
sense of obligation to "brotherhood" and survival, fear of boredom or
loneliness, isolated internal desires to seek out experiences, the
public-at-large scrutiny, the pleasure of talking to vent uncertainties, or
what...?

One more item... the model is: communities of individuals in evolution.
Though this study focused on communication, I hope other studies will
consider various aspects. How about evolution of brain development, personal
skills, leadership, moving from fear to joy, the evolution of play, and the
evolution of associations with others.

robert