Re: DSM: Civil rights vs Education

Rick Stansberger (rickstan@zianet.com)
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:29:07 -0700

Kristin, if you want an old-fashioned legal argument, try child abuse. If you
as a parent made your kid get naked and shower with strangers (standard practice
in gym), or if you undermined her self-respect by calling her sick (LD, ADD,
ADHD, ODBD), or if you made her raise her hand in your home before she could go
to the bathroom, or if you made her stop what she was doing every 50 minutes and
do something else -- they'd put you in the slam. I'm surprised that no one has
gone after schools on the same grounds school officials have used to go after
parents. You don't have to stop with simple abuse. You can go for neglect.
Since the schools are so deadly inefficient at educating kids when there are
obviously better alternatives around, that's neglect of monumental proportions.

Also, if you're going to engage in a protracted fight, keeping one's sense of
humor is essential. It's like the kids learn by playing the dozens. The one
who loses his temper -- loses.

--
"Weirdness abounds and shatters our illusion of order.  Heh-heh.  All the
dust is being blown out from under the carpet. Wonderful stuff!"

Wanda Hamilton-Quinn