Sugmapl@aol.com
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 18:21:01 EST

Joseph,

I agree. I think Sudbury Valley is not even about education. I think it is
about the freedom of children. And to me it is obvious that the most invasive
agenda confronting children comes from their families. It is so hard for
parents because they simply have so much to lose. No one has prepared them to
lose so much. If their children are successful at their extremely deep and
profound work allowed at a Sudbury type school, their children will become
persons. They in fact will be children no longer. Parents will be confronted
with profound traumatic loss. When the family goes there will be no sons,
daughters, mothers, fathers, dads, moms, uncles, aunts, brothers, sisters,
grand parents, na nas, pop pops, or cousins (kissing or otherwise).
Oh there will be a lot of persons, lots of Debbies and Jims and Marys and
Toms and Janes, and Joes. Parents will have to hustle up to become people
themselves. But even through this loss, we can still go home together and
love and help each other in
new and richer ways.

As always, if these ideas are not useful, please just forget them

Bill Richardson