Bruce Smith (bsmith@coin.org)
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 10:58:25 -0700

>Should all the people there quit also because they're
>prolonging it's existance? I believe in reform "and" revolution. I would
>carefully choose when to use which.

Kathleen,

You can't have it both ways. Either you work for reform, or you conclude
that the system is beyond reform, incapable of being reformed, and you
revolt. Either you remain within the system to do whatever you good you
feel is possible (and prolong the system's existence), or you walk.

Can you honestly imagine a scenario whereby traditional schools are made
humane by gradual steps, as opposed to a radical disruption of some kind? I
sure can't. Since when has any despot ever given up power voluntarily,
without being forced over a barrel?

Perhaps you feel you can be revolutionary within the system, undermining it
at every turn. Whether or not that's possible, I don't see it being
*nearly* as effective as abandoning the system, and letting it collapse
under its own corrupt weight. I, for one, can't wait for saboteurs to get
the job done. Too many children suffer too much to allow this to go on
_any_ longer than *absolutely* necessary.

Bruce