Avenfeliz1@aol.com
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 09:56:45 EST

In a message dated 11/11/00 9:38:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, bsmith@coin.org
writes:

> Perhaps I simply went into
> voluntary exile; perhaps I'm an educational expatriate, a refugee, working
> to create a better system elsewhere and hoping against hope for a
> revolution back in the Old Country.

Bruce,

I work with people who wish to work in child development for a living. About
1/2 of them are internally motivated. We've put together a preschool within
the school.
We have 2 1/2 to 5-year-olds. We're working with the Sudbury model there.
We provide the environment, small, but clean and safe. Our policy is to
respect the children and to leave them be. We merely observe. Given their
tender ages, there are a few of the students who stay near.I get resistance
from the students that we need to be more directive. They want to have
planned activities like, cutting out leaves, story time, COLORING (Save me
from such stupidity!).
After a few weeks into the program, most of the students have abandoned these
ideas and enjoy simply observing the children do their things. Some have said
I'm not "doing" anything. Some have said the children aren't doing anything.
Some have said, "I wish I had gone to a preschool like this." I then tell
them that there are schools out there that allow freedom. I also expose the
parents who send their children to the preschool and all of my students to
the Sudbury model. So, the Trojan Horse thing is what I've been doing. Not
protesting in the streets, I know.
Although I have done that too.
Kathleen