DSM: Another List

Sat, 11 Nov 2000 18:46:12 -0800

It was a pleasure listening to Neale speak again tonight. He spoke in
Spokane WA. Flyers on Heartlight were set out. They have listed suggested
donations at the bottom. The punch line of the flyer references Book Three:

"... a school that emphasizes a democratic, non-coercive approach to
education, where students of all ages determine what they will do, as well
as when, how, and where they will do it, was described in CWG Book 3 as a
setting in which 'offspring set their own 'curriculum', choosing which
skills they would like to acquire, rather than being told what they are
going to have to learn. Motivation is thus at its highest level, and life
skills are acquired quickly, easily and joyfully'."

Sounds great.

During the presentation I thumbed through "Communion With God". I thought,
"Oh great, another list of things to teach, as if the first lists weren't
overwhelming enough". Then I noticed a statement following the list: "Teach
these things not with your words but with your actions; not with discussion
but with demonstration. For it is what you do that your children will
emulate, and how you are that they will become."

Thank heavens!

The flyer (flier) says Heartlight "will model honesty, awareness, and
responsibility in its day-to-day operation, and will embrace CWG concepts
and teachings through optional curricular inclusions...". Sounds good. I
hope we add, "Our mentors will utilize continuous assessment for their
evolution as models'.

The flyer mentions Waldorf, Sudbury and Montessori approaches. In my own
terms, we'll simply do what works. Having an evolution by using the best of
what works... what could be a better working plan? Just look and see what is
working best. Yes, this is data. Would Sudbury have come about if data on
schools demonstrated our children were growing up intelligent, happy,
successful and sociable? No. Change is based in observation and creativity.

Speaking of lists, I made my own. Doing what works means mentoring
development from the foundation up:
"The Ten Mountains" (step - path - mountain)
Environment:
 1. environment - society - survival
 2. education - job - economy
Response:
 3. honest communication - objectivity - subjectivity
 4. observation - coordination - wisdom
 5. possibilities - harmonizing - evolution
 6. canvassing - adaptation - health
 7. imagining - networking - hope
 8. investment - money - wealth
 9. sex - family - propagation
Purpose:
10. unionizing - joy - satisfaction

None of these can I fathom as not being important to self-development in our
given situation. No more could I think to add. Living as spiritual beings
might present a modified list, but, that is not the environment a physical
child adapts to in its first years. Actually, if children did adapt to the
physical world through age five, probably they would be ready to begin a
spiritual journey by age seven and finalize (cement in place) this journey
by age twelve. Were this the case, we might add to the list:

 2b. veil - open heart - open energies
 3b. gratitude - blessings - enlightenment

robert