Bruce Smith (bsmith@coin.org)
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 19:36:06 -0700

<<Since few of us think reform is an option, is our only choice to revolot?>>

Revolt, or simply walk away (revolting with one's feet, you might say).
Hey, if I had the magic answer, you'd have heard about it long ago. All I
know, all I've been saying, is that for all the good that may be
accomplished by remaining within the system, I sure don't see _that_
hastening The Revolution one bit. I suppose one could argue that I'm not
exactly tearing down the Berlin Wall overnight myself. But I've got my
hands *more* than full building up a Sudbury school.

That's how I'm fighting my revolution. Not too much bloodshed, thankfully.

<<How far are we willing to go to get rid of a system that is not good for
our children?>>

How far would I go? I did abandon the children I was working with, and I've
never doubted the wisdom and necessity of that decision. Actually, because
I still work with children, I don't regard it as abandoning some so much as
moving on to others, in a setting that allows me to do much more good than
harm.

<<I can tell you, I would join in a protest right now. Just give me a sign
and a place. Would you be willing to do the same?>>

Well, I protest every time I vote against more funding for public schools.
That's not much, I admit. As for doing more, see the above. I'd rather work
on creating an alternative than waste my time telling people what's right
in front of their noses, what they ought to see but refuse to. So maybe the
"revolutionary" label doesn't exactly fit. Perhaps I simply went into
voluntary exile; perhaps I'm an educational expatriate, a refugee, working
to create a better system elsewhere and hoping against hope for a
revolution back in the Old Country.

Bruce