Re: DSM: Re: DSM

Rick Stansberger (rickstan@zianet.com)
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 08:38:11 -0700

Allan,

>From my viewpoint as a former classroom teacher, one thing you can do is to protect the
teachers and students as much as possible from the evaluation mania that is currently
sweeping the edubiz. Here in New Mexico, schools are now being publicly graded on how
well their kids do on standardized tests, and our local system is trying this rigid,
completely scripted "reading" method where the teacher sets a timer, reads paragraphs, and
is not allowed ot say or do a thing outside the script. It produces good test scores up
to third grade and that's all they're going for. I've heard evidence that it actually
retards progress beyond that level, but they don't care. They want those SCORES. The
Superintendent is running around saying, "We're not teaching TO the test, we're teaching
FOR the test."

Then of course there's the whole personal liberty issue with drug dogs, locker searches,
and "zero tolerance" policies. As an administrator you can try to stand between your
faculty and kids and protect them from the worst of it. I never had an administrator who
wasn't willing to hang me out to dry if I stepped out of line. If you can use your
position -- and risk your job -- to protect your people, you're a hero in my book.

Rick

--
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."  Oscar Wilde