Re: DSM: Sharing the SVS model

Rick Stansberger (rickstan@zianet.com)
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 08:23:23 -0700

Scott,

I agree with you. Working inside any institution to change it is usually futile. Real change happens when
an institution is replaced by a model that grew outside that institution. There are mechanisms within any
institution that keep the basic premises from being challenged.

If I had to go back into a factory school -- whether public or private -- to earn my daily bread, I'd focus
on the kids and try to help the ones that I could reach.

When I run across a 275-lb tackle who writes poetry and whose mother is afraid to tell me because she's
afraid of what he might do, I can keep that in mind in his class when we work with poetry, and maybe in a
very indirect way, help him see that poetry is a lens for looking at the world and not a weak-kneed thing
for "fags." After graduation this guy was working in a meat-packing plant and introduced me to one of his
colleagues as "Number One English Teacher."

Had a kid who broke his back rappelling down a cliff in Kentucky. He spent a year in therapy, kept up with
his studies, and came back to school without a brace to sit in those hard, riveted seats all day. When he
started getting overwhelmed by the daily minutiae of school, I was able to remind him that in his short life
he'd done what few people ever could do, and that he was a hero (I believe I said something like "goddamn
HERO!"). Next to that, the daily silliness was certainly nothing to get panicky about. The kid never did
like me, but he stopped freaking out.

An honest teacher can do a lot of good within a school by reminding the inmates that school is artificial,
out of touch with the real world, and hardly "all there is." A good teacher can bring a lot of the real
world back into the classroom, and keep the bureaucrap to a minimum. Of course, you become the enemy of
some other teachers and all administrators, and you have to watch your back. And the kids won't necessarily
appreciate what you're doing.

It's not reform of the system I'm talking about, but kindness for the incarcerated. That's a good thing.
The best thing, of course, is to leave and start a sudschool, but not everybody can do that financially.

Since we're comparing schools to slavery, let's also think of the attitude of Abolitionists toward white
"slavocrats." Drawing battle lines is easy, but if going to war was the answer, then African Americans
would be reporting no prejudice in the South today. War against institutional schools will only harden the
opposition against you and make enemies of potential friends.

Rick

--
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."  Oscar Wilde