BrownCM@aol.com
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:21:01 EST

>Pucky! They don't go to democratic schools because their parents either
>believe in public education as the way for their kids to succeed, or
>because the parents do not believe that their kids will learn
>anything this "democratic" school. The job market is very good right
>now. Any parent can get a part-time crew job at a fast-food joint as a
>second job and more than pay for this form of education, (some have) yet
>they are staying away despite this.

All right, let's see now - say I have two kids I want to send to an
inexpensive school where the combined tuition will be $8000. That means I'll
need a part-time fast food job that lets me take home about $150 a week - so
I'll have to earn about $200 a week before taxes. At $6.00 an hour, I'll need
to work a little over 33 hours per week. That's pretty close to full time. On
top of the full time job I already have. Is this really what you had in mind?

The basic point that you and others on this list are making is that parents
should be willing to draw on a variety of resources to creatively find a way
to come up with the funds to pay for a Sudbury school if they really want
their kids to go there. That's all well and good for those parents who have a
pool of resources that they know how to access - but many, many parents
don't. For many parents it goes beyond a simple lack of money - for whatever
reasons they don't have the knowledge, the wherewithal, the time, the
emotional energy, the family support, the skills required to seek out the
creative alternatives. You can write these parents off as lazy and selfish if
you want, but you would be wrong about them.

Cary