Kristin Harkness (kristin@harkness.net)
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:46:57 -0500

Kathleen wrote:

>... I implement the model in my classrooms. I take
>attendance. After that, I have the curriculum of my subject, and I have a
>couch.

As Scott said so well, "curriculum" and the Sudbury model are diametrically
opposed. How can you "implement the model" in the presence of a curriculum?
In an even more basic way, "taking attendance" is a symbol of the students'
lack of freedom to choose to be in that place at that time. How can being
forced to attend a class be congruent with the Sudbury model? Your class
may be a more pleasant class to be forced to attend than some other class,
but that does not make it a microcosm of the Sudbury model.

> ... If they ask my permission to go to the restroom it really ticks me
>off. They don't aske me anymore. I take the flak for it and try to
imagine
>how much I don't care.

I don't understand this. Does it tick you off that they want to go to the
bathroom during class, or that they feel they have to ask permission to go?
Who gives you flak?

Kristin Harkness
SVS parent